Sports betting has been something that people in New York have been fighting for and new laws have finally been passed. In-person betting within the state was available in 2019 and legislators have approved mobile betting options in April of 2021. This means that online betting platforms could be up and running just in time for placing wagers on the next Super Bowl! The state is currently in the process of determining what providers will be able to legally launch a mobile sportsbook within the borders of NY.
Until these new sites launch, residents of New York will have to visit a brick and mortar sportsbook to place their wagers. However, with the launch of some of the most trusted brands in the industry, you will soon be able to place your wager from home using your mobile device and always have access to the best odds, great bonuses, and extensive coverage of the US sports markets.
Current Status of Online Betting in NY
Online sports betting is expected to become available late in 2021 and during the early months of 2022. The Governor of the state and various legislators have negotiated to reach a deal that would bring mobile betting to the state of New York. The deal received approval in April 2021 and will pave the way for major sportsbooks to operate online platforms.
Now, gaming regulators are setting up a request for proposals that would allow sportsbooks to apply for a betting license. At least four sportsbooks apps will be approved. While we are not sure of the exact sportsbooks that will be set to launch in the state, you can expect the most trusted and recognizes brands to enter the market and offer a safe and secure way to engage in online betting!
Betting Sites to expect in NY 2022
As soon as providers have received their licenses, they will start to operate. Many have already created the platform that will be offered and is just waiting for approval from the state to launch. By the end of 2021, you can expect some of the biggest names in the industry to be up and running in the state of New York. Here are the sites that will most likely be available in 2021-22.
- DraftKings – Just about every sports bettor is familiar with the DraftKings name as it is one of the largest betting companies in the US. DraftKings will be welcoming NY bettors with a 20% match for up to $1000 and there will also be free bet deals, odds boosts, and more.
- FanDuel – FanDuel is already operating retail locations in the state and will be one of the top sites to launch online. You can expect an amazing betting experience here, with coverage of all popular markets, popular bet types, and fantastic promotional offers.
- BetMGM – BetMGM has one of the largest meekest selections for US bettors and when it launches in New York, new members can benefit from a risk-free bet for up to $1000.
- BetRivers – BetRivers already has mobile apps in multiple states, including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Colorado, and Illinois. Owned by Rush Street Interactive. BetRivers will be launched through a license for Kambi Group. As a new member, you can expect to redeem the current welcome bonus, which will double the amount of your first deposit up to $250!
- Caesars Sportsbook – With an existing partnership with three Indian Nation casinos in New York, you can expect Caesars to be quick to launch. When you sign up, you can benefit from a free bet offer worth up to $5000! Caesars recently acquired William Hill in 2021 and has rebranded all US William Hill sports betting apps to Caesars Sportsbook.
NY Sportsbook FAQ
- Who will be able to bet at these online sportsbooks? You will have to be physically located within the borders of the state to be able to place any real money wagers. You will also have to be at least 21 years of age and your age will be verified before you are able to bet.
- Is daily fantasy sports betting allowed? This has already been legalized in the state and there are some great sites up and running. If you want to wager on DFS, you can sign up at DraftKings, Yahoo, FantsayDraft, FanDuel, or Draft, all operating with permits in New York.
- What sports can I bet on? When these platforms are available, you will be able to legally place wagers on all professional sports. College events must be out-of-state teams and events. There will also be international events supported.